Thursday, May 26, 2011

After 'Ole: refreshed and decisive?

"Am I Lined up with who I am (always miraculous) ?" 

Today and tonight, we are in the moons of Kaloa.  Counting from our 'X' Mark Post, where the phases of Mahina clearly looked (and felt) to be on her way to 'Ole Moons, today is Kaloakulua (the second Kaloa moon).  The Kaloa phases of Kaulana Mahina are good times for planting plants with long, straight stocks like bamboo.  Intuitively, this feels right based on the shape of Mahina's illumination.  To check myself, I pull the evidence to this post and read again, and look again.

  1. Here is the link to the "X-Marks the spot Post:  ttp://countonthemoon2.blogspot.com/2011/05/ole-kukahi-starts-sunday-may-22-2011-x.html
  2. Click here for the clearer view of the Hawaiian Moon Phases  http://www.huimalamaokekai.org/hawaiian-moon-phases.html
Why read again, and look again?

Study and practice, practice and study.  Re-align and refresh the lessons still newly planted in my soften ground (my 'aina ... the soul of my being).  I'm writing standing up (funny, ha!)  Sitting at the laptop hurts, I feel pinched off while I sit to write. 

Here's the story ... the 'ole moons just past began with resting part of Sunday though I felt responsible for a project that I have begun so I allowed another to push me to do what was difficult.  I felt the need to 'show them' I am responsible.  Pollen season is in high-season with one particular bloom (Scotch broom) challenging me.  To persist and maintain forward movement requires an oxygen tank, a face mask and homeopathics, and an attitude of belief and allowing.  My plan to persist included two-and-a-half of four things:  oxygen, face-mask, one of three homeopathics, and a shaky belief-and-allowing.  I did my job, enjoyed the process and felt good for the accomplishing.  The day and night moved slowly forward and I rested most of the evening.

Monday, I asked my body and soul to go forward again.  This time, I chose to get in the car again and ride south to Seattle to gather with the group of people who have helped us while we were in the early stages of adapting to life with MCS.  We see these folks less and less, and live two-hours away from them now.  The desire to see them, and share our progressed lives fueled the choice to go to the city.  We had other errands, following through on processes begun in previous months.  The gathering happened, and the lessons for me are these: 

  1. There are things and people that aid in the process of getting to now, but are not necessary to go from now to the future: being with these folk, I heard and felt the vibration of staying sick and knew it was time for me to move on.
  2. 'Ole days and nights are times of rest, and not times of responsibility to others:  I crashed into the futon and felt the broad spectrum of feelings closer to disease and sorry.  Not enough reserve energy I drew energy from the bone.
Tuesday, the pattern of wobble rather than rest kept me mis-aligned and responsible.  I rested the day, and then cooked food for five and gathered with a new-to-me-friend who is newly widowed.  We gathered at the picnic table Pete has newly built.  The friend was freshly washed, but scented, so my misaligned self gave from a place of emptiness.  The night and the next two days have been catching up on the missed 'ole.  Blessing?  Yes.  Difficult?  Yes.

The compost of the lesson

Each month is a time of 'malama' and I believe it is not accidental that the meaning of the 30-moons month in Kaulana Mahina is the same word as "care."  Over and over again, the miracle of worlds-planets-suns-moons-stars-asteroids orbit in paths that allow each and all to be without destroying.  In much the same way I get a chance to be a miracle on my own path.  The orbiting Mahina lights up because the Sun's reflection casts clarity, more and more, a little at a time; and then in reverse the darkness comes more and more, a little at a time.  The 'Ole Moons are purposeful and meaningful only if I attend to their value:  notice and allow the beam to reflect that light or dark INTO me. 

To be ready and receptive of lessons is a self-pacing experience.  Force-feeding a change in belief usually results in projectile vomiting.  Today, as I stand to complete this post I note the phase of Mahina, and feel the up-rightness of my being.  Standing at the sink where the chopping block hangs nicely as a table, the Ki log (ti leaf) stands in the bottle of water.  I talk to the sacred plant, welcoming it to our home; change the water daily to keep the water fresh; notice the slowly budding eyes along its upright length.  Soon, but not yet, I hope the Ki will sprout greens and set roots.  My son sent the Ki logs just after the first 'Ole Moons of this Malama.  "We could use some of that protection growing around us here," I told him.  Without fanfare and much attention to agricultural regs, the logs arrived in a plastic ZipLock inside a Priority Mail envelope. 

I study and unlearn and teach through example.  The lessons of malama i ka `aina are lessons of life lived in the moment, with the moon, sun and Others.  I'll keep checking for sprouting green and setting roots and plant myself when the time is right and the wobble pau. 

During 'Ole to whom are you responsible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, mana'o, or something to consider.